Amir Khan’s starring movie Dangal is a real-life story of struggle faced by Geeta Phogat – India’s award wining wrestler and his father Mahavir Singh Phogat . Amir Khan played the role of Mahavir Singh Phogat, the father of Geeta Phogat.
Also Read: Sakshi Tanwar as mother of Geeta and Babita in Dangal movie
The movie is showing the struggle that is faced in rural part of India where a girl is born in a family of a wrestler, Mahavir Singh Phogat who was a National level wrestler. He had almost lost his dream of sending his son to the world wrestling competition when he got four daughters. Mahavir Singh Phogat is a Droncharya Award winner also from the Indian government.
The movie revolves around Haryana, where female to male ratio is very low and the rate of female foeticide (female foeticide is the abortion of a female foetus illegally) is very high. Every mother probably wants to give birth to a son in the state. The movie is a big slap to them who do not believe in the power of a girl, and sends a message to the society that a girl is not a burden and can help you achieve your dreams if given opportunities.
This is the second movie in a year after Sultan, based on the background of Sultan.
Few amazing facts about the movie “Dangal”
- The movie is directed by Nitesh Tiwari and stars Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat.
- In the movie, Aamir is seen teaching wrestling to his daughters Geeta Phogat and Babita Kumari.
- A member of Disney read an article on Mahavir Singh Phogat in 2012, on how he trained his daughters to become world class champions. Disney approached Nitesh Tiwari to write and direct the story. Nitesh also met Mahavir Singh Phogat and his daughters for permission, who agreed to tell the story.
- Geeta Phogat is India’s first female wrestler to win at the Commonwealth Games, 2010. Geeta had won the gold medal while her sister Babita Kumari won silver.
- Fatima Sana Shaikh is playing the role of Geeta Phogat, and Zaira Wasim as young Geeta.
- Sanya Malhotra is playing the role of Babita Kumari, and Suhani Bhatnagar as young Babita.
- Sakshi Tanwar is playing the role of Mahavir’s wife, Daya Shobha Kaur.
- The movie revolves around the bonding between a father and his daughters. Although Mahavir Singh Phogat could not give wings to his own dreams of going far in wrestling, but he gave them to his daughters.
- The movie was released on 23 December, 2016 and is making brilliant collections till then.
- The music of the film is composed by Pritam and the lyrics are written by Amitabh Bhattacharya.
- Aamir Khan did lot of hard work on his body to give the exact looks as per the requirement of the movie. He was trained by Kripa Shankar Bishnoi, who is a coach with the Indian wrestling team.
- The movie has been declared tax-free in Uttar Pradesh
- Mahavir Singh had the initially perception that girls cannot do good in wrestling but when he saw his girls beating boys, he realised his daughters had the potential to become wrestlers.
- The shooting of the movie began on 1 September 2015 and within next three months he had gained 9% fat, and the weight rose to 98 kg for the movie. He lost the excess weight from January to April 2016.