Who is Roger Federer?
Roger Federer is one of the best player in Tennis who originated from Switzerland. Roger has been ranked as the number one tennis player in the world.
Childhood and early life of Roger Federer
Roger Federer was born on 8th August 1981, in Binningen, Switzerland. He holds dual citizenship of Swiss and South Africa because his father is a Swiss national while mother was born in South Africa.
He was raised as a Roman Catholic and also had to take compulsory military service in the Swiss Armed forces which is required for all male Swiss citizens. But was considered unfit for the services and so later served in the civil protection force.
Since childhood, Roger was inclined towards various sports like cricket, basketball, along with badminton.He loved sports and had started playing tennis at the age of eight-years-old. According to him, he played them to improve hand-eye coordination.
He started playing tennis professionally in 1998 only and ranked in top charts from October 2002 to November 2016.
Married life of Roger Federer
Mirka Vavrinec is the wife of Roger Federer whom he met while in 2000 Sydney Olympics where they both were competing for Switzerland. She is a former Women’s Tennis Association player, and together they have four kids; identical twin girls born in July 2009 and twin boys born in 2014.
Few highlights of career of Roger Federer in Tennis
Federer is considered as the greatest male tennis player of all time.
1. He won the 2001 Hopman Cup along with Martina Hingis in mixed.
2. He won at the Milan Indoor Tournament in his first singles
3. He lost to Andre Agassi in the final of the Miami Masters event in 2002.
4. He won his Masters Series in 2002 by beating Marat Safin.
5. The first Grand Slam title won by him was at the Wimbledon by beating Mark Phillippoussis in the final in 2003
6. In the year 2004, he became the first person to win three Grand Slams.
7. After winning the Australian Open in 2004, he became the top tennis player in the world.
8. He won three Gland Slam singles titles in the year 2006 but lost to Nadal in the final. But as a result of this, he became the first sports man to reach all four finals in the same year.
9. In 2007, he reached the final of all four Grand Slams and also became the winner of them.
10.In 2012, he won the Indian Wells Master series for the fourth time which is a record in itself. In 2013 he got beaten by Andy Murray in the Australian Open in the semi finals.