Who is Srikanth Kidambi?
Srikanth is one of the most talented Indian badminton player who has made many records so far. His name needs no introduction as he has reached a niche in the field of sports.
Originally, Srikanth hails from Hyderabad (India), and is a student of Gopichand Badminton Academy. The real name of Srikanth Kidambi is Srikanth Nammalwar Kidambi, and he was born in Guntur, Andhra Pradesh on 7 February 1993 to a family of farmers. His father was a farmer and mother Radha a house wife. .
Srikanth Kidambi has a brother Nanda Gopal who is also a badminton player. Srikant Kidambi is supported by GoSports foundation,Yone and Li-Ning sports.
It is really very inspiring that someone born in a moderate family of farmers rose to sky with his hard work and efforts. Shrikanth’s father tells how Srikanth’s interest towards badminton developed when a new municipal stadium was constructed near their home in Gantur in the year 2000. Both the brothers would often go there to play in the stadium, and from there only their seriousness towards the game started.
Shrikanth became the highest ranked men’s badminton player in April 2018. Shrikanth has been awarded wit Padma Shri, Indian’s fourth highest civilian award in 2018.
Badminton Career of Srikanth Kidambi
- Kidambi participated in 2018 in India Open as the second seed where he was defeated by Iskandar Zulkarnain Zainuddin.
- Kidmabi also lost in the second round of 2018 All England Open to Huang Yuziang from China.
- Shrikanth won gold in the mixed team event at 2018 Commonwealth Games held in Gold Coast. Kidambi also won a silver in the single team event. As a result of this performance, he gained top ranking for a week.
- Srikanth won French Open Series on 29 October, 2017 by beating Japan’s Kenta Nishimoto 21-14, 21-13 in the French Open Super Series men’s singles final.
- Srikanth won Indonesia Open Series on 19 June 2017, by defeating Japanese player Kajumasa.
Shrikanth Kidambi won Australian Open Super Series Final by defeating Chen Long 22-20, 21-16 in a tough match on 28 June 2017.
- Srikant created history and became the first Indian to win the Swiss Open Grand Prix title, by defeating Viktor Axelsen (21-15, 12-21, 21-14).
- Kidambi Srikanth won the men’s singles title at the India Open Super Series after beating Denmark’s Viktor Axelsen( 18-21, 21-13, 21-12) on 29 March 2015
Kidambi was the runner up at the 2014 Indian Open Grand Prix Gold event held in Lucknow. He was also a quarter finalist in Malaysia Open held in the same year. He reached semi finals of the famous BWF series by defeating Tommy Sugiarto (21-18 21-13) and Kento Momota (15-21 21-16 21-1) in the group stage to reach Semi Finals of the prestigious BWF, but in the finale he lost to Chen Long of China.
Srikant won the Men’s Singles title in the Thailand Open Grand Prix Gold even held in the year 2013. In the finals, he defeated the then world number eight player Boonsak Ponsana in straights set. He also reigned All India Senior National Championship held in Delhi, the same year and also finished second in the Indian Badminton League as a part of the Awadh Warriors.
Srikant claimed the Men’s Singles title by overcoming the Junior World Champion Zulfadli Zulkiffli of Malaysia.
Srinkant’s career started in 2011 with Common wealth Youth Games in Isle of Man. He won the silver in mixed doubles and bronze in doubles. He won matches in Singles and Doubles categories at the All India Junior International Badminton Championship held in Pune.
Read: How Srikanth Kidambi created history in Swiss Open Grand Prix Title
Srikanth Kidambi in Swiss Open Badminton 2015
Srikanth created history by becoming first Indian badminton player to win Swiss Open Badminton title with a prize money of $120, 000.
Srikanth Kidambi is the highest ranked Indian men’s badminton player in the international ranking of 4 as of March 12, 2015.
Kidambi showed his excellent game to oust defending champion Victor Axelsen (21-15, 12-21, 21-14) in 47 minutes in the first meeting of his career and won the title. The victory did not come up very easy to him, but he struggled and excelled in the last rounds. He has also participated in Olympics Rio, 2016 and has made an entry in quarter finals.