Many houses in and around your neighbourhood could be multiple decades old. Maybe, even your own home is one of them. Now, though these stand strong, and have a certain sense of character and personality, it also makes these potentially dangerous to reside in. Most of the houses built in the mid-90s have used Vulcanised Industrial Rubber (VIR), which tends to break down over the years. So, basically, the insulation part becomes brittle and falls off, making the wires fully exposed to the risk of an electrical fire.
But, you need not worry too much. The solution is quite simple. You just have to go for a complete rewiring of your home. It usually takes two-three days, but it gives way to years of safety and peace of mind. But, yes, if you discovered that your home needs rewiring, it will surely lead to a bit of stress. So, all you need to do is plan it out. And of course, hire an efficient and licensed electrician who charges a minimum cost to rewire a house. AGW Electrical Services is the perfect example of an honest, reliable company who has a team of expert, certified electricians. They will take care of all your rewiring needs at the most affordable prices.
Things you need to plan before a home rewiring
There’s every valid reason to take a sufficient amount of time and efforts to plan out your home rewire. You should have all the insider details and how everything should be done, right on the fingertips. Rewiring an old home is just as important as having an updated nice electrical installation condition report of the property’s electrical system. There are quite a few aspects that you need to keep in mind, long before the electrician arrives. Let’s take a closer look at these:
- What needs to be rewired: Before any of the work is started, you need to find out which parts of your home are to be rewired. In some cases, you might get away with a partial rewiring. But, in the case of older homes, chances are that you will need to invest in a complete rewiring. Consult your electrician to know what exactly needs to be done.
- How much power is needed: You will also need to have an idea about the amount of power your home needs. If you are rewiring, obviously your home needs that additional power, to run all those appliances. So, you need to upgrade the electrical panel as well. This will ensure the smooth running of all those heavy electrical appliances without tripping any of the breakers.
- Set the budget: One of the most important and foremost things is to decide on the budget. You can do so by considering what all needs to be done, and any additional improvements you wish to have. The electrical services you choose shall give you an idea about the costs of each job. You can modify the budget accordingly.
- Research well: The first call you should make when you are deciding on which company to hire is probably to ask for recommendations from friends or family. Word of mouth is one of the best ways of research. And otherwise, you could look up online, but make sure to read up all reviews, testimonials etc.
- On-site arrangements: The time required to do a full home rewiring is generally 2-3 days. It can be a very messy affair and seeing your home in such disarray can be quite overwhelming. Work is done in specific rooms all over the house, and you may need to vacate them while the work is being done. So, plan your accommodation in advance and make sure there’s enough space for the workers to move around.
So, these are some of the main things that you need to consider when you are planning a home rewiring. This is a huge investment, and doing it right will ensure that the investment pays off. And will also give you the peace of mind regarding the safety of your family.