Studies have proved that desi ghee or purified butter if taken in moderation, can boost your health and also helps in weight loss. Contrary to what many people think it is not fattening. Celebrities fitness trainer, Rujuta Diwekar insists on adding it to your diet on daily basis.
Ghee helps in digestion and improve metabolism which releases energy. It brings shine to our face also and gives power to work the whole day without getting fatigue. Nothing better could be to make desi ghee at home. Pure desi ghee is made with milk or cream.
How to Make Ghee?
We already have one article on “How to make Ghee at home“. You can check that to know the procedure of making ghee in details. We have mentioned the whole process in detail in that article. But still we are mentioning below few of the basic steps to follow for making ghee at home.
We have written below few of the basic steps to make the ghee, and rest in detail you can find from the article below. Please read this article as it has everything of making ghee.
- Add 2 tablespoon of yogurt in a large utensil and keep collecting cream over 10 to 13 days from boiled and cooled milk.
- Make ghee on low or medium flame to avoid burning.
- Many people do not like the smell of the home-made Ghee. My family literally feels intoxicating. Adding drumstick leaves or curry leaves makes the ghee more flavoured, and will help stay so for a longer time.
- I use two sieves one inside other to strain ghee into, you may line your sieve with several layers of muslin cloth and set that over a large bowl, its good if you can have a bowl with pouring spout to pour your ghee into storing glass jar.
9 Tips to store Ghee to use it for long?
It is not difficult to store ghee at home for long if few basic precautions are taking in its handling. One can buy online containers also to store ghee safely and for long duration.
A home made ghee is easy to make and store if taken few basic care as follows:
- Ghee is butter, without lactose and casein, so it’s beneficial for people who are lactose intolerant.
- Ghee usually has long self life(8-10 no months) but discard using it in case you find any change in physical appearance and smell.
- Always cover the ghee container with their lids to avoid any dust to enter in it.
- Try to consume homemade ghee within three months of its manufacturing. If quantity is more, better to store it in a refrigerator. You can also take out some quantity of ghee in a small container for daily use.
- Make sure to keep it in a cabinet, away from direct light.
- The container should be free from any moisture.
- Always take ghee with clean spoon or ladder.
- Ghee stored in air tight containers have longer self life. They need not to be refrigerated, just keep it in dry and cool area of your kitchen.
- Once you see any change in its color or smell, do not use it.