‘So, here you are ready for travelling by air, everything is ready – passport, visa, tickets, lugguage, shopping list and your dreams, ofcourse. But it’s must to know about baggage rules and regulations before you board flight as improper carriage of baggage can cause a lot of inconvenience. Make sure you are aware of your free checked baggage allowance and the latest restrictions on carriage of certain items in your hand baggage.Any items over your allowance will be charged as excess baggage. Not only weight even dimensions of your hand baggage has to be within specified limits.Contours are available at all airports to check the dimensions of your cabin baggage. In case your cabin baggage exceeds the specifications, you will need to check-in your bag.
Are you also travelling by air but not sure what to carry in hand baggage?
Not to worry, we are writing down the items that are strictly no and those which are allowed to carry on air on this article. Please leave a comment on the post if anything needs to be added.Make sure you take medication, important documents, valuable items and cash in your hand baggage.
What is Hand Baggage on Flight?
Hand baggage or carry – on – baggage is the luggage or laptop bag that you can carry on your hands. But there is a also a limitation to the weight that you carry as hand baggage. The weight limit is usually different for different flights.Cabin baggage allowance may vary depending on the type of aircraft, class of travel (First Class, Première or Economy), domestic or international flights.
As per Bureau of Civil Aviation Security (BCAS) guidelines traveling passenger may carry maximum 7 Kg’s per person per flight (only one piece measuring not more than 55 cm x 35 cm x 25 cm,including pockets, wheels and handles).In air India flight you can carry upto 8 kgs of hand baggage per person.
Passengers accompanying Infants are allowed an additional piece of Hand baggage weighing up to 7Kgs, not exceeding the above size.
Jammu & Srinagar: Due to airport security regulations, no cabin baggage is allowed on any flights originating from Jammu and Srinagar airports.However, the same can be checked-in including the allowed limit of 15Kgs (the total weight of the checked-in baggage should not exceed the limit of 22kgs).
Onestroller or baby pram per infant is accepted without any charge.
Both children and adults are entitled to the same weight of cabin baggage. When there is an infant who is travelling with an adult and is not entitled to a seat, a cot or a push chair is allowed for him.
List of Electronic Items we can take in Hand Baggage
You can take laptops, hair dressing equipment and few other electronic devices. But there are few flights that do allow electronic items but the condition is they should be fully charged during the full journey. In electronics, the following items are allowed to carry in your hand baggage on flight.
- Camera with its equipment
- Hair dryer, roller or straightener
- MP3 Player (music system)
List of Medicines that are allowed to take on Flight in Hand Baggage
- Scalpels are not allowed to take on flight.
- Cooling gel pack
- Drugs and pills for common problems like headache, stomach or other problems
- Liquid syrups and medicines
- Syringes but which are hypodermic
Although you can take medicines inside flight, cannot take them unless the quantity is not more than 100ml, as otherwise need to notify the airlines in advance. For oxygen bottles, every airlines has its own rules and regulations for weight and usage.
Everyday items of usage that you can take in Hand Baggage
There are many items that are of daily usage and we cannot do without them. But all that are required are not allowed to carry on flight. The following everyday items are allowed to carry:
- Knife is allowed but the one with fixed blades more than 6 cm are not allowed
- Folding blade knife and razor are not allowed
- Scissors with rounded points are allowed but the blades should not exceed 6 cm
- Nail clipper, Tweezers and Sewing needles are allowed
- Do not carry lighter or safety matches on flight
- Can carry umbrellas, wheelchair or children’s stroller
- Cleaning liquid for contact lenses or glasses is allowed to carry
Banned Items in Flight
Items Which Cannot Be Carried In Hand Baggage
Lighters, Scissors-metal with pointed tips, Realistic replica of toy weapon.
Box Cutters, Ice Axes/Ice Picks, Knives (any length and type except round-bladed, butter, and plastic cutlery), Meat Cleavers, Razor-type blades such as box cutters, utility knives, razor blades not in a cartridge, but excluding safety razors, Sabres, Sword
Baseball Bats, Bows and Arrows, Cricket Bats, Golf Clubs, Hockey Sticks, Lacrosse Sticks, Pool Cues, Ski Poles, Spear Guns.
Guns and Firearm
Ammunition, BB guns, Compressed Air Guns, Firearms, Parts of Guns and Firearms, Pellet Guns, Realistic Replicas of Firearms, Starter pistols.
Axes and hatchets, Cattle Prods, Crowbars, Hammers, Drills (including cordless portables power drills), Saws (including cordless portable power saws), Screwdrivers (except those in eyeglass repair kits), Tools (including but not limited to wrenches and pliers), Wrenches and Pliers.
Martial Arts/Self Defense Items
Billy Clubs, Black Jacks, Brass Knuckles, Kubatons, Mace/Pepper Spray, Martial Arts Weapons, Night Sticks, Nunchakus, Martial Arts/Self Defense Items, Stun Guns/Shocking Devices, Throwing Stars
Additional items which are allowed in the cabin
In addition to one piece of cabin baggage or package, you may also be permitted to carry one following personal item, subject to Security Regulations:
- A Lady’s hand bag.
- An overcoat or wrap.
- A rug or a blanket
- A camera or binoculars
- Reasonable amount of reading material for the flight.
- Infant’s feed for consumption during the flight and infant’s carrying basket, Feeding bottle, if an infant is carried.
- Special diet food
- A Collapsible wheelchair or pair of crutches or braces for passenger’s use, if dependent on these.
- A Walking stick.
- An umbrella (Folding type)
- Medicines required during Flight like Asthma inhaler etc.
Guidelines for carrying liquids, Aerosols and gels in your hand baggages:Liquids, aerosols and gels include:
- Creams, lotions and oils
- Watersoups, syrups and other drinks
- Gelsincluding hair and shower gels
- Contentsof pressurised containers, including shaving foam, other foams and deodorants
- Pastesincluding toothpaste
- Liquid— solid mixtures
- Anyother item of similar consistency.
- You are required to present liquids and gels separately when passing through the security check.
- You can carry a re-sealable transparent plastic bag which should not exceed 1 litre in volume. Only 1 bag will be allowed per guest.
- Liquids, gels, pastes, lotions and aerosols are not permitted in containers bigger than 100 ml.