What are e-Cigarettes or Vaping?
e-cigarettes are handheld battery-operated devices shaped like cigarettes that provide a way to get nicotine that tries to create the feeling of tobacco smoking.
e-cigarettes work by heating a liquid cartridge to generate an aerosol, commonly called a “vapor”, that the user inhales. Using e-cigarettes is sometimes called vaping. E-cigarettes heat a liquid instead of tobacco, what is released is considered smokeless. On the other side conventional cigarettes are burning botanical matter and are thus more harmful.
The liquid in the e-cigarette, called e-liquid, is usually made of nicotine, propylene glycol, glycerine, and flavourings. Not all e-liquids contain nicotine.
Electronic cigarettes are variously known as e-cigarettes, e cigs, EC, electronic nicotine delivery systems (ENDS) or electronic non-nicotine delivery system(ENNDS), personal vaporizer, or PV.
Cigarette Smoking is Injurious to Health
Why Do People Use e-Cigarettes?
Everyone knows “Smoking is injurious to health”. Nicotine is the main culprit of addiction in a smoker. However, many other harmful chemicals are too present in tobbaco smoke like tar which may be carcinogenic. Smoking claims millions of lives each year due to smoking-related diseases such as lung cancer and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). There are basically two ideas behind the E cigarettes.
- E cigarettes contains pharmaceutical-grade nicotine extracted from a tobacco plant in order to reduce the cravings and withdrawal effects associated with stopping smoking. E cigarettes use a delivery method which is considerably more like actually smoking. Smokers can opt to quit by reducing the amount of nicotine they consume gradually.
- Even if smokers can’t reduce their nicotine consumption this way, “vaping” (using e-cigarettes) is still better and safer than smoking cigarettes. Providing the nicotine without the co-existing risks of other substances would reduce the damage.
Why e-cigarettes are Gaining Popularity?
Compared with conventional cigarettes, e-cigarettes still has several advantages in terms of health and environment protection.
1.Electronic cigarette does not burn and has no open flame, which is safer and fire hazard does not exist.
2. Electronic cigarettes are more environmentally friendly which is not burning, no soot, no smoke, no cigarette butts, and no electromagnetic radiation.
3. Health electronic cigarettes do not change the habits of smokers. It is similar to conventional smoking cigarettes.Therefore, the electronic cigarette is very popular.
4. Electronic cigarettes can produce larger vapor and taste is not bad and make a smoker feels very real.
5. Electronic cigarettes are easy to use and carry into your pocket.
6. Electronic cigarettes can help a smoker quit smoking the tobacco cigarette.
Safety Issue Concerns with e-Cigarettes
e-Cigarettes is a recently introduced concept. Though companies marketing e cigarettes claims to be safe. However, to prove safety of any new replacement requires a time span of 15-20 years at-least.
E- cigarette does not produce smoke, so it is more likely to mislead consumers that it is safe and healthy. China is the inventor and main producer of the electronic cigarettes, which occupies 90% of the market. However, the regulation of control is still blank. “No product standards, no quality control, no safety evaluation” is the main feature of e-cigarette in China. Moreover, FDA has not provided approval to e-cigarettes till now. Some of the safety concern of e cigarettes are:
1. Although the electronic cigarette does not contain tar, pure nicotine will have the same health risks. E- cigarettes produces variety of other toxic compounds (in addition nicotine) that will be breathe in.
2. E- cigarette also releases inhalable liquid fine particles and ultrafine particles, nicotine and
carcinogens into the room.
3. Young people are using the e-cigarette is regarded as a substitute for conventional cigarettes. Not only will it fail to help them quit smoking, but also leads to nicotine addiction easily. Even it can make young people induce from smoking.
4. Some e-cigarettes are made with low quality and the high nicotine proportion will be more harmful to the users.
5. Nicotine is not carcinogen by itself buy but it can destroy the brain development forever and unrecoverable.
6. Substances that can be found in e-cigarettes have potential health hazards. Diacetyl or acetyl propionyl can lung disease called bronchiolitis obliterans. Tobacco specific nitrosamines, Benzaldehyde, acrolein, and formaldehyde are Carcinogenic. High-dose exposure Ethylene glycol can damage the kidneys. Propylene glycol, can cause irritation to the respiratory tract, and lead to a number of acute symptoms.