The one food item that is my favorite and I can have it as much as without any guilt is no doubt, “Coconut”. I just love it and can have it in any form, but the one in raw form is just yummy.
I use coconut for other uses also like cooking, hair conditioning, cure of skin problems etc.
Also Read: Recipe to make Nariyal (Coconut) Barfi with Milk Powder
In India, coconut is found mostly in its southern parts like Kerala. But still India produces about 11 million tons of coconuts every year. It is the third largest producer of coconut in the world as per the World Atlas.
Portuguese gave the word “coconut” that means the three holes in it make it look like a ‘skull’ or ‘coco’.
Kerala, in India is the best producer of coconut and most of the supply is done from this state only. People in Kerala use coconut as the most important ingredient in their daily life. They use it in almost all their stuff like making spices, chutneys, cooking, pickles, in raw forms etc.
The name Kerala is also derived from the word “Kera” that means “coconut” in Malayalam. In Kerala, we can say people use each and every bit of coconut tree, be it the leaves, fruit or shells etc. It is also said that because of the use of coconut, the skin and hair of Kerala people are always shining.
In India, coconut plays an important role from rituals point of view. Before any auspicious ceremony, a healthy coconut is broken which is served as prasad(offerings) to others.
Health Benefits of Coconut
- Coconut comes with many benefits and contain important ingredients like, manganese, iron, zinc and phosphorous. The fat contained in coconut is good for our heart too unlike other fats. Coconut oil is also considered to be beneficial in the cure of thyroid problems.
- Coconut oil has good cholesterol and healthy saturated fatty acid.
- Coconut oil is good for skin and hair growth. It is believed to slow whitening of hair and promotes hair growth.
- One can use coconut oil for massaging and smoothing of skin.
- Coconut is mixed to make modaks(ladoos) which are healthy and tasty too at the same time.
How to Use coconut in your daily life?
- Coconut water is rich in minerals and helps beating heat and fast recovery. It should be given to a patient who is recovering or on medication. But one should consult with a doctor before using, as in many cases it increases sugar level or salts in kidney also.
- Raw coconut which has water has creamy part also. This creamy or fleshy part can be taken out and eaten. But this fleshy part becomes hard once the coconut matures, which can be grated and used in different recipes.
- Coconut milk can be used in making delicacies, like in Thai curry.
- Coconut is used in making sweets or desserts, cookies and biscuits.
- Coconut oil is used in cooking or hair massaging. It relives from stress and promotes hair growth.
- Coconut oil is used as an Ayurveda cure also in many diseases.