Estrogen is a hormone found in our body in small amounts. This hormone plays a very important role in maintaining overall health of our body. Estrogen is a female hormone. Though it is also present in male body but in a very less quantity as produced in female body.
Estrogen plays a very important role in the overall sexual and reproductive development of a female body. Sometimes, they are just named as female sex hormones.
Role of Estrogen hormone
- It is responsible for the onset of sexual development of girls during their puberty
- Causes changes in breast during growth of teenagers
- It controls metabolism and controls body weight
When it is fine to have low Estrogen in body?
There is not confirmed condition under which the growth of estrogen hormone reduces in human body. Any time the body can reduce the growth of estrogen in the body. But especially there are two conditions when the estrogen level many drop down and is considered normal:
- When a girl has not reached her puberty the growth of estrogen hormone is low
- When a woman approaches her menopause, she may have low estrogen.
7 Common causes of low estrogen
There could be many reasons behind low estrogen level, few of the common are:
- Extensive workout
- Excessive dieting
- Auto-immune disease in body resulting into premature ovarian failure
- Poor eating habits
- Failure or low functioning of pituitary gland
- Kidney disease
- Age factor is also the reason behind low estrogen hormone level in body. As, a woman crossing 40 years can have low estrogen level that signs approaching of menopause.
Symptoms of low estrogen hormone in body
Everyone many have different symptoms and experience with low estrogen levels. But still there are few which can be found most common:
- Pain during sex
- Irregular periods
- Absent periods(amenorrhea)
- Night sweats
- Mood Swings and irritation
- Tenderness in breast
- Urinary Tract Infection
- Fatigue and tiredness
- Headaches, Depression
- Hot Flashes