What is Fruit Salt?
Fruit salt is a term which is used for the resulting substance made from organic compounds like citric acid or tartaric acid with baking powder.
What is the composition of Fruit Salt?
Fruit salt must contain baking soda and citric acid or tartaric acid(60% baking soda and 40% citric acid). One common example of fruit salt is ENO. Percentage of the constituent can be changed as per the requirement or taste. One can use other souring agent also if citric acid is not available. For example, people use vinegar many times for the desired results in the absence of citric acid.
Is there any alternative of Fruit Salt?
Most common example of fruit salt or alternative of fruit salt is “ENO”, which is 60% baking soda and 40% citric acid. Fruit salt like ENO works by neutralizing the stomach acid and gastric problems.
6 Best uses of Fruit Salt
1. They are used as a wide range of ailments to cure many problems like upset stomach, dyspepsia, heartburn, indigestion etc.
2. They are used as antacids
3. They are used in recipes to make the things fluffiness. It is used in making idlis as it makes it more fluffy and tastier.
4. Used as sweetening agents for the medicines
5. Low calorie source
6. Cure flu
6 Side Effects of Fruit Salt or ENO
Sometimes, the chemicals used in making fruit salt can cause rare complications. Even though they are rare but it is always good to consult your medical practitioner if they do not go away easily.
- Abdominal cramping
- Vomiting or nausea
- Muscle pain
- Tiredness or weakness of any sort
- Swelling of limbs
Also Read: 8 Amazing Benefits of using Baking Soda and Lemon