Thekua is very popular dry sweet in Bihar, Jharkhand , eastern Uttar Pradesh (Purvanchal), Madhash ( region in eastern terai region of Nepal). It is also famous as Khajuria or Thikari. Slightly flattened oblong pieces made with hand called khajur and when made in small round by belan in mini puri shape, it is called thekua.
Thekua is a revered prasad ( Offering to the God ) offered to God Sun on the pious occasion of Chatth. Traditionally, Thekua for prasad should be strictly prepared on “mitti chulha” (traditional earthen stove) by using clean “wood sticks” as the fuel.
Scientific Reasons Behind Chatth Festival
Ingredients for Thekua Recipe
- Wheat flour – 2 cup (300 grams)
- Jaggery – 3/4 cup (150 grams)
- Coconut – 1/2 cup (50 grams) (grated)
- Oil – for frying
- Ghee – 2 tbsp (for kneading dough)
- Green cardamom powder – 1 tsp
- You can add cashews, raisins, dried dates or any other dry fruit you like .
Steps Involved in making Thekya
Kneading dough for Thekua
Take flour in a bowl, add powdered cardamom and grated coconut. Now with help of jaggery mixture knead hard and little dry dough. Rest for 10 mins for best results.
- Preheat oil in a kadhai or any container you use for frying.
- Take little amount of dough and with help of your palm give it long shape.
- Place the dough ball in saancha/ mold to and press gently with your hands to give make an imprint of desired design.
- Roll the dough into round shape for making simple round thekua.
- If you don’t have molds than make use of sieve for making thekua.
- After making thekua from dough, fry them on medium flame. When they turn brown, take them out in a plate with absorbent paper. Likewise prepare all thekua.
- Store in air tight container when cooled completely and enjoy eating. It is perfect partner for evening tea or coffee. Thekua can be stored and relish for a month.
Rituals and Significance of Chhath Pooja (Pratihar) Festival
Some quick tips for Thekua Recipe
- Use good quality jaggery, Jaggary used should be boiled and strained to remove impurities.
- Dough should be tight enough to hold its shape, if it doesn’t than you can sprinkle some water or milk. Knead again and let it rest.
- You can make any shape you want to make ,round , oblong ,star shaped you can use a cookie cutter too.