Ingredients Needed to Make Momos (1 cup = 250 ml)
For Outer Cover of Veg Momos:
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (atta)
- ¼ cup water + 3 tablespoons water
- ¼ teaspoon salt or add as required
Veg Momos Stuffing
- ⅓ cup finely chopped or grated carrot (gajar)
- ⅓ cup finely chopped or grated cabbage (patta gobhi)
- ⅓ cup finely chopped or grated capsicum (shimla mirch or green bell pepper)
- ¼ cup finely chopped or grated onions or spring onions
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger(adrak)
- Pinch of turmeric powder (haldi)
- ¼ teaspoon red chilli powder (lal mirch powder)
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder(dhania powder)
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder (jeera powder)
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon black pepper powder (kali mirch powder)
- some oil for greasing steamer pan
- 2 to 2.5 cups water for steaming
Recipe to Make Wheat Flour Momos
Preparing the outer cover of momos:
1.Take a mixing bowl, put one cup of whole wheat flour into it. Add ¼ teaspoon of salt and make a soft dough by adding water in parts. Cover the dough and keep it aside for at least half an hour.
How to Make Momos Stuffing?
Take all finely chopped vegetable in a mixing bowl. Add finely chopped ginger to and spices mentioned above. Add salt as per taste. Mix everything very well.
How to Shape Veg Momos?
Divide the dough in small or medium sized balls.
Sprinkle some flour on a dough ball.
Roll each dough ball into a thin circle of about 4 to 5 inches in diameter. Make the edges thin and with thicker center.
Apply water on circumference edge.
place 2 to 3 tablespoons of vegetable stuffing in the center.
lift one side of the edge and start to pleat and join the pleats in the center.
keep them covered under a moist napkin before the next step of steaming.
Steaming Veg Momos
Heat 2 to 2.5 cups water in a steamer or in an electric cooker or in a pressure cooker.i took it in idli maker in microwave. Proceed same way, you make the idlis. Heat water in the microwave safe idl maker. Grease the idli moulds with oil and then place the momos on the idli moulds
Steam momos for 10 to 12 MINUTES but don’t overdo the steaming
When done: momo will not feel sticky to touch and have glossy look
Whole wheat veg momos can be enjoyed with a spicy sauce like schezwan sauce or tomato-chili sauce or chili sauce. You can also serve it with red chilli garlic chutney